Thursday, 9 August 2012

A visit to the wicker chair shop

Well, we have finally settled into the new apartment on 6z17  Mao Tse Toung Blvd. Part of the attraction being the balcony at the front, we quickly decide it would be a good idea to buy a couple of colonial style wicker chairs for relaxing out there. Fortunately for us we are located just down the road from the wicker furniture district having moved from the stainless steel sink area.
 So off we stroll shop after shop selling much the same thing. Finally we find a pair of chairs we like but they are painted in a disgusting orangey varnish very popular among the locals and the conversation goes as follows
." You got chair no varnish" says I (You tend to find yourself going into local speak to make your life that little bit easier)
 "You no like my pain do mysel" says the woman.
 "No, me no like pain, me like bare"
 "You funny man" says she
Now were getting into another area altogether!
 "I get chair, no pain 4 day"
 "Where from", says I
 "Vietnam no problem"!!!
Intense negotiation  now begins on the price;
How much for two chair"?
"$40" says she," goo price"
"How much no pain, cheaper"?
"$40 no pain no differ"
"You save pain,must be cheaper" says I
"$40 no differ you no like pain you problem"

Slightly bemussed we shake hands big smiles all round the deal is done. We leave her with a $5 deposit and hopefully the chairs will come winging their way across the border via tuk tuk next week!!!


2 comments:

  1. No pain, no gain I presume!
    Good news that you are settling in to the local way of life. Does Paul have in problems with doorway height dimensions?
    Two days of summer have arrived in the "old country". Monsoons returning hext week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant exchange! I love Paul's use of the vernacular!! Hope the chairs are what you want when they arrive.
    Loving your photos, too.
    Lovely evening at Widemouth yesterday. Took food and wine and enjoyed the company of friends and a stunning sunset. These opportunities are few and far between and must be seized!!xx

    ReplyDelete